Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Challenge #63 - Purple Potato Chips!

Normally I stay away from regular potatoes, but the farmer's market had these Peruvian Blue Potatoes so I had to by them because of the color!  I know, I know I have a thing for purple and blue (naturally!) vegetables and fruits!  So I decided to make some homemade chips for my husband, and have one or two myself.


Ingredients:
Peruvian Blue Potato (or any kind you like)
Sea Salt
Pepper
extra virgin olive oil

Step #1 - Thinly slice potato.  Add salt, pepper, and olive oil and toss.  You only need a very small amount of olive oil, I used about 1/2 tsp, just enough to coat.  Place in dehydrator for 4 hours on 105 or until crisp.
You can make these in the oven, which I have tried before but it's a bit tricky to get them to bake evenly.
 For me, the seasoning and the technique worked to make the chips, however myself and my husband did not care for the actual potato.  I did bring them to work however and a couple of people enjoyed the rustic, earthy flavor of the potato.  I am going to try this again using parsnips, which I love, so stay tuned for these in the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment