Thursday, February 2, 2012

Challenge #50 - Almond Joy and Mounds - Sugar free

Almond Joys and Mounds used to be a favorite of mine which I have not had in years.  We can all remember the commercial "sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't"... you know the rest.  Anyway I saw a ad for them recently so I thought I can totally make these sugar free (if desired).
Ingredients (Makes 8 - depends on your mold):
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut 
1/4 cup coconut butter (softened)
1 tbsp coconut oil
about 3 oz. 100% Dagoba chocolate (a little less than 1/2 the chocolate baking bar)
3 packets stevia (or as much as desired- I like super dark chocolate)
Raw almonds soaked (1 or 2 per chocolate)
Note: I am trying to have minimal amounts of sure so I went with sweetening 100% myself with stevia, but if desired you can melt down your favorite dark chocolate bar.

Step #1: Break chocolate into chunks.  Double boil to melt.  Mix in stevia, taste to adjust to desired sweetness.  Stir continuously until melted.
If you don't have a double boiler, you can use a glass bowl over a pot like I did.  You want the water in the pot to be low enough to not allow the glass bowl to be submerged.
Step #2: Begin to coat chocolate molds.  Place in freezer until hard (about 5 mins -chocolate is thin)
Step #3: While chilling chocolates, mix coconut butter, shredded coconut, and coconut oil together until well combined.  Remove chocolates from freezer, and begin to fill with almonds if desired and coconut filling.  Yes I have cute heart shaped molds but it allows for 2 almonds per chocolate!  Valenine's Day is around the corner, perhaps a yummy treat for loved one!
Step #4: Cover with more melted chocolate and freeze until chocolate is set (only about 5-10 mins).
Step #5: Remove from freezer and un-mold.  I just flipped upside down over a plate and gently tapped with the back of a butter knife until they came loose.
Step #6: Let sit out for a little before eating (unless you want frozen coconut filling)
I brought these into work and people enjoyed them.
I made these twice in order to get the recipe right.  Shown above was first try and my chocolate shell was a bit thick.  The next time I did use a chocolate paint brush to brush the chocolate around the mold to get a thinner and more consistent shell.

1 comment: