Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Challenge #58 - Veggie Sushi Again

In class we made sushi rolls with jicama as the rice.  There are also a bunch of recipes online for similar rolls as well, so don't hesitate to spend a few minutes looking around the internet.  I decided to try a couple of different rols with some of my favorite ingredients-asparagus, cucumber, carrot, avocado, & sweet potato.

Ingredients: 
Jicama
Nori Sheets
Carrot - julienned
Cucumber - julienned
Asparagus - lightly steamed
Avocado - sliced
Sweet potato - mashed
Nama Shoyu for dipping (or regular soy, or tamari for the gluten free)
Ginger - thinly sliced

Step #1 - Peel and cube jicama.
Step #2 - Pulse jicama in food processor until "riced"
 Step #3 - Jicama contains a lot of water.  Before using for sushi, you will want to squeeze out excess moisture.  Place jicama rice into towel or cheese cloth and squeeze.  You will be surprised how much liquid is in the bowl.
Step #4 - Add jicama rice to bowl and set aside.  Continue until all jicama is done.  In picture 2 below you will see the second batch it formed a "rice ball" when I removed it from the towel.  You will want to break that up in order to make the sushi, I just thought it was cool and wanted to share.

Step #5 - Begin to assemble sushi.  The pictures below are a little blurry, but I wanted to still show the steps.  Layout Nori sheet on a bamboo mat and add jicama rice.

Step #6 - Add ingredients of choice.  I did a couple of combos: cucumber, carrot & avocado, then avocado & sweet potato, then asparagus and carrot. Some pictured below.


Step #7 - Start to roll.  If you have not done this before, I recommend taking 5 minutes and watch a youtube video on how make a sushi roll.

Step #8 - Cut down the center, then into equal pieces.
Step #9 - I served mine with sliced ginger and a little nama shoyu for dipping.  I made 6 rolls total, 3 for each of us.  Below is one of each of the 3 kinds of rolls.
Yum!  But I also happen to be a huge fan of jicama.  I actually had some of this jicama rice left over which I added to my salad for tomorrow's lunch.  The asparagus roll was my favorite as well as my husband's.  We were both so so on the sweet potato one.  I will probably omit that next time and try a mushroom roll instead.  There are many possibilities.  We were also just talking about other options to use as rice as he is not 100% sold on the jicama...so stay tuned for more sushi ideas in the future.  We also had some roasted  Japanese eggplant to accompany the sushi rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment