Sunday, March 25, 2012

Challenge #69 - Mexican Style "Rice"

I wanted to jazz up the plain millet I used when making the Deconstructed Burrito using Mexican Rice as the inspiration. You can eat this as a side dish or as part of the deconstructed burrito.

Ingredients:
1 cup millet (yields 2 cups when cooked)
1 small yellow onion
1 green pepper
2 cloves garlic
1/2 lime
1/4 cups + 2 tbsp tomato paste
2-3 tsp cumin (to taste)
Sea Salt (to taste)
1/4 cup water
cilantro - optional

Step #1 - Dice onions and green pepper and saute.  Grate 2 gloves of garlic and continue to saute until tender.
Step #2: Add cooked millet.  (I made mine the night before.  To cook millet,: soak over night, rinse, and add 1 cup millet to 2 cups boiling water or veggie broth. Lower to medium and cook about 20 mins.  Millet is done when all the water or broth is absorbed.) 
Step #3: Stir millet into onions, pepper, and garlic.  Add tomato paste and cumin. Add water a little at a time to help thin out tomato paste.  Add sea salt and lime juice.  Mix well.  Continue to cook until everything is heated through and well mixed.  This will take less time if you cook the millet and use it instead of making it the night before.
Step #4:  Mix in cilantro if desired.  I left it out because my husband and I liked the flavors as is.  Enjoy.
I sauteed up some peppers, onions, and zucchini and added it on top of my Mexican "rice" and then topped with guacamole.  I forgot to take a picture of the final result, but below is the colorful bowl of veggies.


No comments:

Post a Comment