Sunday, January 1, 2012

Challenge #41 - Deconstructed Burrito

One of my favorite things I used to make was a burrito with veggies and spinach.  Its an easy dish with  a variety of flavors and customizable ingredients that come together for a quick and tasty meal.  Most of the time, I never even put it in a tortilla! I just mixed everything in a bowl and topped it off with some salsa and guacamole.   

My husband thought this was delicious too.  I just had this left over and it was yummy, maybe even better than last night since the flavors of the shallots and peppers had a chance to really soak into the millet.  This would be a great meal to make ahead on the weekend and throw together on a busy week night, something I am a big fan of. 

So inspired by an old favorite and reworked to follow my guidelines...I give you the Deconstructed Burrito.

Ingredients: (Approx. 2-4 servings)
1 cup millet (soaked overnight)
2 cups Vegetable broth (you can cook the millet in water instead)
2 colored peppers (I used one yellow, 1 red) julienned
1/2 large zucchini - julienned
3 handfuls of spinach
1 shallot finely sliced (can use an onion,shallot is what I had on my counter
Sea Salt
Butter or oil for sauteing
Pepper
Guacamole (homemade or your favorite store bought)
Salsa (homemade or your favorite store bought)

Step #1 - Bring veggie broth to a boil, add millet and reduce heat to medium.  Cook for 20-30 mins.  Cook until millet has soaked up all the broth (or water).  If you want to make more millet, the basic rule is a 1 to 2 ratio of uncooked millet to broth.  I use veggie broth to add more flavor.
Step #2: Saute veggies. Add salt and pepper to taste  If using spinach, throw in at end as it will cook much faster than peppers.

Step #3: Combine cooked millet, veggies, guacamole and salsa.  I mix guacamole into the millet/veggies and well as adding as extra to the top.  I used salsa because it was handy, but next time I make this, I plan to make my own pico de gallo instead.  The recipe is very flexible.  You  can use whatever combination of veggies ou desire.  If you choose, you could also put everything in a gluten free or sprouted grain tortilla.  Personally I like it sans wrapper!
Enjoy!  If you have as left overs or make ahead, throw the millet and veggies in a pan to warm, plate and top with guacamole and salsa.  It takes a few minutes, easy on a busy along with a nice salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment