Sunday, March 18, 2012

Challenge #68 - Garlicky Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

To of my favorite things (ok I know, I have a lot of favorites!)- garlic and roasted red peppers.  Combined they are just fabulous.  Below is a recipe for garlicky roasted red pepper sauce.  Though this is easy, it takes some time to broil the peppers and roast the garlic.  I would recommend this as a make a head for a week night or a weekend dinner.

Ingredients:
3 red peppers
1 head garlic (only a few cloves will be used for this recipe)
1 small zucchini or 1/2 med/lg zucchini (diced)
stevia (optional)

Spaghetti squash

Step #1: Cut the red peppers into slices (3-4 per pepper).  Place on parchment lines tray and but in oven with the Broiler set to HI.  You will want to watch them as they char.  I discovered with my oven, I need to rotate the tray a few times to get an even char on all the peppers.  When the peppers are done (sorry I forgot to take a photo), remove from oven and place a wet towel over the peppers for at least 10 mins.  This is a tip I learned from Doris to help remove the skins easily.  I found this method to be easier than sticking the peppers ina brown paper bag.  When cool enough to handle, remove skins.
Step #2: Roast the head of garlic wrapped tightly in foil on 400 degrees for about an hour.  I had this in the oven at the same time as my spaghetti squash.  See Challenge #47 for spaghetti squash instructions.
Step #3: Putting to all together.  In food processor, add diced zucchini, roasted peppers and 3-5 cloves of roasted garlic as desired.  (I like a lot of garlic).  Blend to creamy consistency.  Taste, add stevia if needed/desired to taste.

Step #4 - Add to spaghetti squash or anything else of your choosing.  I think this would be also good over raw zucchini noodles, soba noodles, or pasta.  I mixed sauce into the spaghetti squash and them added a little extra in the middle.  Enjoy!

1 comment: