Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Challenge #47 - Spaghetti Squash

Spaghetti Squash was something new to me months ago and I never blogged about it.  I mentioned it the other day and someone asked me what is was.  The coolest squash ever because it's name says it all!  The recipe and photos below are with a pesto, but it is super versatile.  I have had it before with a variety or marinaras, plain with a little bit of butter and roasted garlic and veggies, anything goes!  If you follow food pairing like I do, spaghetti squash properly combines with goat cheese.  And now for the fun...

Ingredients: 
Spaghetti squash
Pesto (2 sm-med. zucchini, 2 cloves garlic, 2 cloves roasted garlic, sea salt to taste, several handfuls of basil and throw all into blender) (This makes more than enough pesto, I used it for several dishes)
    or your favorite marinara, butter & garlic, whatever you desire.

Step #1 - Place whole spaghetti squash into the oven on 400 for about 40-60mins (depending on how large your squash is)  Make sure to pierce a few holes in it.
Step #2 - Squash is done when fork tender (the skin will also start to brown)
Step #3- Remove and let cool.  When cool cut in half and remove seeds.
Step #4 - Now for the magic!  Run your fork to scrap out the flesh.  It will pick up on your fork like spaghetti - amazing.
Step #5 - Remove everything and place in bowl.  Afraid you will miss pasta?  Don't worry you can totally twirl spaghetti squash around your fork.
Step #6 - Add your favorite sauce and enjoy!  Pictured below is oil free, dairy-free, nut free pesto.  I also added some diced yellow and red peppers for additional color and texture. 

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic! I love the simple pesto recipe, I'll definitely be giving that one a try. I'm so into spaghetti squash lately too so this is perfect.

    ReplyDelete