Sunday, January 8, 2012

Challenge #43 - Carrot Ginger Soup

Carrot Ginger is one of my favorite soups.  As it is getting colder, I thought it is the perfect time to make a batch.  I never made this before, so I started by looking at different options on the internet (non which  I found were vegetarian & diary free), and there are a lot of them.  So I got some ideas and just went for it instead of following a recipe.  Below is what I came up with. 

Ingredients: (Yields Approx. 9 cups)
4 cups peeled & diced carrots
1 shallots diced (can use onion instead)
3 celery stalks diced
2 inches ginger ( I used 1 inch to start, but it needed more)
Sea Salt  & Pepper to taste
6 cups veggie broth (low sodium & yeast free)
1/2 roasted butternut squash (I roasted this earlier)

Step #1: Saute shallot and celery.
Step #2: Peel ginger and grate into pot.  I adjusted the ingredients above for more ginger.
Step #3: Add carrots.  Saute for about 5 minutes.  Add Salt and Pepper to taste.
Step #4: Add veggie broth and cook on medium until carrots are fork tender (about 20-25 mins).
Step #5: Add butternut squash and let cook an additional 5 mins. I had roasted the butternut squash earlier in the morning.  Tip:  If you are like me and struggle to cut the squash open, I placed the entire butternut squash in a baking dish, made a few piercing with a knife, and baked the whole thing on 400 degrees for at last 40-60mins until you can pierce easily with a fork.  The skin will also start to brown as an indication that it is done.  When cool, cut in half, scoop out seeded, remove skin and cube butternut squash.  I used half for this recipe and will do something else with the other half during the week.
Step #6: If desired, reserve a few carrots to add to soup as garnish.
 
Step #7: Let soup cool for about 10-15 mins.  Slowly add soup to blender in batches.  I did this in about 4 batches.  Add, blend, & repeat until all soup has been blended.  Please note, my blender holds about 10 cups, if you have a smaller one, you will have to remove as needed.  Taste to see if need to add anything.  I added a bit more salt.  I also added some ginger powder since I desired more (already adjusted for above).  Of course you can add as much as you want depending on how much of a ginger kick is desired, I like mild.  My husband who tasted this as well, wanted more ginger.  So I left as is and tomorrow for leftovers, when I reheat I will make my bowl first and then throw in some more ginger powder for his serving.
Step #8: Serve and add carrot garnish if desire.
Enjoy!  This was delicious and warming on a cold day.  You have some options with this soup.  You can leave out the butternut squash and add more carrots instead.  Spice of course can easily be adjusted for desired level of kick.  Also, this make quite a bit.  If you were going to serve this to a bunch of people, you can go light on the sea salt, put a shaker on the table and let people add more themselves.  My original plan was to freeze some of this for future use, but I think it is going to all be eaten by the end of the week!  If I were to serve this at a party, I might dice up some scallion to add as garnish for a nice contrast to the orange.

1 comment: