Saturday, December 24, 2011

Challenge #40 - No Bake Dessert - Banana Cream Take 2

The banana cream pie I made for Thanksgiving got really good feedback, so thought I would make it again to bring to a Christmas Eve  party, but re-worked to make individual ones that are easy to eat.  I also added a little twist to some of them for those of you that like coconut.
This is the Same the recipe from challenge #34, but slightly tweaked.  This will yield 9 individual treats.
Ingredients Crust:                        Ingredients Filling:  
1-1/2 cups pitted dates                    2 frozen bananas
1 cup almond meal                           1 fresh banana
2 handfuls of raisins                         3-1/2 tbsp raw almond butter
                                                       1 tbsp vanilla extract
Ingredients Optional:
Cinnamon
Sliced banana
Shredded unsweetened coconut.

Step #1: Pulse all crust ingredients together and they begin to combine.  When finished, remove from food processor and put into bowl.  Kneed together to form dough ball.  (Photos below, I forgot to take a picture of this last time).
Step #2: Once your dough is formed, you want to press dough into a non-stick cupcake pan on the bottom and around the sides.
Step #3: Freeze for at least 20 mins.  When time is up, you a knife around edges to help remove them from the cupcake pan.
Step #4: Remove all crust shells and set aside.  Put all filling ingredients in blender and blend.  You can use a bit of almond milk to help facilitate blending.  The first time  I did this, I did not need to use, this time around I used a splash.  I also added cinnamon into the filling.

Step #5: Add banana filling to shells.
Step #6 (if you like coconut, if not skip this step).  I only filled 5 of the shells to start. I then added a bunch of shredded coconut to the filling and blended it again.  I then finished filling the remaining shells (1 is not shown in the above photo).  If you choose to do this, I added some coconut flakes to the top to differentiate the 2 kinds.  Of course you could also add a banana slice, chocolate shavings, sprinkle top with cinnamon...a world of possibilities.
Step #7 - Cover and place freezer to allow the banana filling to get hard.  You will want to remove from freezer for at least 10 mins before serving (think ice cream cake).
Step #8: My husband and I sampled one to make sure they were good before I brought them to this evenings party.  It was yummy!  Below is a photo of a final one with a bite taken out!  Super simple, no baking, and these versions don't require a knife and fork.  I guess if you wanted to make them bite sized, you could use a mini cupcake pan instead.

1 comment:

  1. I made this, and it was DELICIOUS. I made it in a tart pan so it was easy to pop the nut crust out to make slicing easier. I also substituted dried cherries for the raisins in the crust, and it worked just fine. The dates are sticky enough that they glue it all together nicely.

    One helpful hint, I froze the two bananas with the skin on. That was dumb of me. Peel them first and then freeze.

    It's a WONDERFUL easy-to-make recipe. It would be easy to make before a party, and would be especially delightful on a hot summer evening!

    ReplyDelete