Monday, January 2, 2012

Challenge #42 - Veggie Shepherd's Pie Plus Bonus lunches

Shepherd's Pie was another comfort food I used to enjoy, but once I became a vegetarian I thought it was lost to me because of the ground beef base.  I've developed a vegetarian version of the dish that replaces the traditional ingredients with seasoned mushrooms, sauteed vegetables and a whipped parsnip crust.  As a bonus, the recipe made enough extra vegetables to start a side dish, so I added quinoa to make an additional meal for the following day.

The result was a re-imagined but tasty version of Shepherd's Pie that works with my diet without sacrificing flavor.  My omnivore husband, who loved the original recipe, was a big fan of this new version.  Enjoy!

The typical Shepherd's Pie :             My Version:                 
Ground beef or similar                       Variety of mushrooms      
Vegetables (carrots, peas, typ)           Zucchini, peppers, broccoli
Mashed Potato                                   Whipped Parsnips

Ingredients:
1 Large portabella mushroom diced
1 packaged mushroom variety (shiatake, oyster, & baby bellas) diced
2 tsp tomato paste
1 garlic clove - diced
1 sprig rosemary (next time I plan to use 2 for a stronger flavor)
1/2 cup veggie broth
1 large zucchini - diced
2 colored peppers - diced
1 head broccoli
1 med. red onion - diced
Sea Salt & Pepper (to taste)
4 parsnips - cubed

Step #1: Peel and cube parsnips.  Steam until very tender.  Throw in food processor with salt and pepper and blend until smooth and creamy.  Can add small amount of butter if desired. I actually made this last night, and used the parsnips today.
Step #2: Saute half the red onion, garlic, and mushrooms with rosemary sprig.  As mushrooms begin to cook, add in 2 tsp of tomato paste, about 1/4 cup veggie broth, salt and pepper.  Stir and allow tomato paste and veggie broth to make a little sauce.

Step #3: Remove mushrooms from pan and disregard sprig. Add to glass pan (I used an 8x6) as layer #1.
Step #4: Add in remaining onion,veggies, and broth  to pan.   Stir occasionally and cook until veggies and tender. Add salt & pepper to taste. Remove and add as layer #2.  If you follow the above ingredient list and use the same size dish, you will have left over veggies.  Reserve for bonus dish below.
Step #5: Add whipped parsnips as layer #3.
Step #6: Bake on 350 for about 20-25 mins.  When you see it has begun to bubble, turn off oven and put on the Broiler Lo setting for about 5 mins to brown top.  Make sure you watch this, as times can vary depending on you oven.
 Step #7: Serve and enjoy.
BONUS: While my veggie pie was baking, I cooked up 1 cup of quinoa in 2 cups of veggie broth.  When it was done, I add my left over veggies which gave my 3 lunches for the week.

1 comment: