Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Challenge #28 - Quinoa and squash pancakes

Ok this is the last squash recipe for the moment! I have been wanting to try the recipe from the link below for sometime now, but wanted to make something for dinner and decided to use what else roasted squash puree for the filling.  I made a few alterations to the recipe and as I was going, my crepe wound up being more like pancakes.  So here is my twist...Pancakes layered with roasted squash
http://www.caseylorraine.com/2009/09/healthy-delicious-quinoa-crepes-with-chocolate-cinnamon-spread-and-your-daily-experience/
Ingredients:
 Pancakes:
1 cup quinoa flour
Almond milk -unsweetened (I used this instead of water)
Stevia
Vanilla extract
Cinnamon
 Filling:
 Roasted squash
pumpkin
Pumpkin spice
Vanilla extract
Stevia
Optional: cocoa powder

Step #1: Mix flour, stevia, vanilla in bowl.  Add almond milk slowly while stirring until get a nice thin pancake batter.
Step #2: Melt butter or coconut oil in pan, add batter.  Once batter has started to cook and is brown n bottom, flip and brown other side.






Step #3: Throw all filling ingredients into food processor or blender and puree until have a nice thick mixture.  I tasted and adjusted spices and sweetness as I was going.
Step #4: Layer alternating between pancake and filling.  I was a little hungry while I was cooking, and well I ate some of the pancakes as I was going, so my stack is a little short!  So try to be patient unlike me!


Step #5: Enjoy!  I had leftovers, threw them in the fridge and ate the rest for lunch the following day.  My "layer cake" was still very good since the pancakes did not get soggy.  This was a pleasant surprise since I did not know how well it would hold up in the fridge.

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhh nom! Good idea, that looks delicious! I tried Casey's version and I might have to try this one too! I love layered stuff.

    ReplyDelete