Sunday, May 8, 2011

Challenge #8 - Stuffed Peppers

The Original Dish- Peppers with Eggplant Stuffing
The No's - Italian Breadcrumbs
The swap - Portobella Mushrooms as stuffing

Ingredients:
Eggplant ( I used about half a med. one, since I was only making 2 peppers)
2 Peppers
2 med. portobella
1 clove garlic
1 small onion
splash of vegetable broth
Pinch of sea salt
1 tsp butter

Saute the garlic, onion, and eggplant in butter.  When eggplant starts to get soft, add portobella mushrooms. Add small amount of vegetable broth and cover until all veggies are soft.

   I used a slotted spoon to remove veggies so any remaining broth was left behind.  Gave my veggies a quick few pulses in the food processor to give me a more stuffing like texture.

Stuff peppers.

Baked for about 25 mins. on 350

Enjoy!

Conclusion: It's difficult to replace breadcrumbs with a vegetable instead, but I enjoyed this recipe.  I think putting the sauteed mixture in the food processor helped combine the vegetables into more of a stuffing like consistency.  I think the eggplant and the mushroom flavors worked well together.

No comments:

Post a Comment