Sunday, May 1, 2011

Challenge 3- Favorite Crepe - re-worked

Challenge #3 - Favorite Grilled Asparagus Crepe (from a restaurant) - re-worked
The NO's of the original - flour, asiago, swiss, creamed spinach, and a yummy dipping sauce
The Swap - A thin egg omelet as the "crepe", goat cheese, sauteed spinach and asparagus, goatmilk yogurt based dipping sauce

The following is for 2 "crepes"
4 eggs
5 stalks asparagus
Couple handfuls of spinach
1 clove garlic
Soft Goat cheese to taste
goatmilk butter (could use regular butter)

Dipping Sauce: ( I don't know what is really in the original, so I just tried to re-create the flavors)
Approx. 4-5 tablespoons goatmilk yogurt
2 tsp  of Sweet Paprika
1 tsp Chipotle Chili powder
1 packet stevia
pinch of sea salt

Chop garlic and begin to saute in melted butter.
While that is sauteing, chop asparagus and spinach.

Add asparagus to pan first and for a couple of minutes before adding spinach.  Saute until tender.

Beat eggs while veggies are cooking.
Melt butter in pan and add eggs. (I made the 2 "crepes" individually.  I had all eggs in one bowl so "crepe" #1 was a bit thicker thank "crepe" #2

While egg is cooking add together all ingredients for dipping sauce.  I tasted as I went along and made adjustments.  What I specified is approximately what I used for the final sauce.

While egg "crepe" is cooked, add the veggies and goat cheese to half and flip.  Cook until cheese is melted.

Serve with dipping sauce drizzled on top or on the side and Enjoy!










 Conclusion: Ok, so my "crepe" was really more like an omelet version of the grilled asparagus crepe, but it was delicious!  Both my husband and I enjoyed very much and will make this again. I loved the lightness of the very thin omlet. The dipping sauce added a  layer of flavor which I enjoyed tremendously although it was not quite the same as restaurant version.  I might experiment more the next time with the spices and ratios for my version of the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment