Friday, May 6, 2011

Challenge #6 - Sweet Potato VS. Yam

I've always considered a sweet potato to be the orange potato in the grocery store.  However the orange ones are actually yams, even though everyone (at least around me) seem to call them sweet potatoes. I wanted sweet potato fries the other night, so I stopped at the market on my way home and asked for few sweet potatoes. When I got home, the skin was a beautiful deep maroon color and delicate and when I cut it open to make my fries, to my surprise it was a very pale yellow almost white color.

Before I baked my fries, I googled it.  I found out that what I bought, actual sweet potatoes are similar but sweeter than yams.  I rough cut the potatoes, melted some butter and sprinkled some sea salt and baked them for about 30mins. at 350.

So I tried them and...they were so delicious!  Now for the yam vs. sweet potato debate, I am not sure to me which was sweeter or whether I prefer on over the other.  I think this means I am going to have to do another challenge where I make sweet potato fries and yam fries and do a side by side tasting.  What a yummy challenge that will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment