Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Challenge #5 - Jicama - Something new

For the past few years I have seen/heard of jicama on TV and surfing the web fir recipe ideas.  I passed repeatedly in the grocery store but I never picked one up.  Why?  I wasn't familiar with it, so I never did, but now it's time to be Adventurous!  So I found a recipe online and purchased one finally!

A while back I picked the root vegetable daikon up by mistake and thought, "Why not?" Without investigating recipes or any info on how to cook it, I roasted it in the oven with a bit of salt and pepper and did not like the result - the daikon tasted very bitter. 

This time, before I became too adventurous, I looked up what jicama is and some tips.  I learned you need to peel of the skin with a knife, a veggie peeler won't work, which was very useful.  And of course I was following a recipe this time to start my new veggie experience.

I prepared a raw jicama salad and it was soooo delicious.  To me, the jicama tasted like a cross between a  potato and an apple.  It was a winner and I am trying to think of recipes to create using jicama.  When I do, I'll post and let everyone know how I do.

Results:  I am inspired to try more recipes using jicama.  I think after I do some research for tips and recipe ideas, I will try daikon again and see if I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment