Sunday, August 28, 2011

Challenge #22 - Taste the Rainbow Part II

I always begin lunch and dinner with a large salad.  So I decided to see how many colors of the rainbow I could get in the bowl.  I came pretty close...I fell short for blue and indigo.  In the future if I were doing a salad with dried fruits and nuts, I could cover blue with dried blueberries.  Again I threw this together with what I had in the fridge as well as a couple of new things to try that I picked up at the farmer's market.  Of course there are many variations on this as well.
Red= Tomatoes, Radish (I guess this is red & white)
Orange= Carrots
Yellow = Peppers, tomatoes
Green = Tomato, Zucchini (I think this counts as green & white), Spinach (base of my salad)
Blue =
Indigo=
Violet = Cabbage, peppers (how amazing is the deep purple pepper! - yeah farmer's market)
Salad prep
I cut and diced and throw all the above on top of spinach with some garlic and lemon juice, mixed, and enjoyed.  Helpful tip, I pre-cut a lot of veggies so I don't have to do so every time I have a salad which I why the above picture shows a large quantity of some items. Result below:
Rainbow in a bowl Salad
I realize have have quite the variety of tomatoes here, so I think I am going to have to make a tomato salad with all the colorful varieties that are in my fridge! 


No comments:

Post a Comment