Saturday, August 27, 2011

Challenge #19 - More Eggplant - Stuffed Eggplant Boats

Eggplant is in abundance at the farmer's market.  So I bought some more the other day.  I used to make eggplant hollowed out and stuffed with bread crumbs.  So I took the stuffed eggplant idea and decided to stuff it with veggies instead.  This is also a quick and simple recipe.
Ingredients:
1 Large eggplant
Diced carrots
1 large clove garlic
1 small shallot
1 small container baby bella mushrooms (diced)
Few spoonfuls of crushed tomato
Salt & pepper
Step #1: Saute garlic and shallots (I sauteed with butter) until begin to get tender. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
Step #2: While sauteing, half eggplant & hollow out leaving about half and inch of eggplant flesh.  Dice up eggplant that has been removed. 
Step #3: Add carrots, diced mushrooms, & diced eggplant to shallots and garlic.  Saute until soft.  Add crushed tomato to veggies.
saute veggies

Step #4: Stuff eggplant boats with veggies
Step #5: Bake for about 20-30 mins. until eggplant boat is tender
Bake stuffed eggplant
Step #6 - Enjoy!  These were really delicious.  I originally thought about adding basil but did not.  I think this was a good choice.  I f I had added the basil I think it might have taken away from the great mushroom flavor that was dominant in the dish.  The crushed tomato was an after thought as I started cooking.  You only need a little, I think it was a wise choice as it helped to keep the stuffing moist when the eggplant was baking.
Stuffed Eggplant Boat

No comments:

Post a Comment