Sunday, July 31, 2011

Challenge #16 - Stuffed Squash 2 for 1 Challenge

I was at the farmers market the other day and saw 2 kinds of squash I had never had before, golden squash and lita squash.  So I thought I would give them a try, but what to do with them?  I used to make zucchini and squash baked in the oven with a bread crumb stuffing.  The challenge- how to rework stuffed squash.  I thought about making a mushroom stuffing like the stuffed peppers I made in a previous blog.  But them I decided to try something completely different.  Stuffed squash with veggies and pesto (pesto friendly to my new eating habits.
Golden Squash
Lita squash

Ingredients: Squash, small zucchini, carrots, red/orange peppers, garlic, broccoli steams, basil, sea salt, nutritional yeast(parmesan substitute)

Step #1- hollow out the 2 types of squash
Golden Squash Hollowed

Lita Squash Hollowed
Step #2 - Bake squashed at 350 until soft.  While squash is in the oven, saute diced garlic, small zucchini, carrots, peppers, and usable squash from inside of lita as golden squash.
Saute veggies
Step #3- You can use regular pesto, but as I am not using oil,pine nuts, or parmesan, I have a modified recipe.  This is a combination of a few recipes.  In the food processor, mix garlic (1-2 cloves) broccoli stems, half a medium zucchini, basil, sea salt and nutritional yeast(optional) to taste.
Mock Pesto

Step #4 - Add pesto to sauteed veggies and stuff baked squashes.
Stuffed Golden Squash


Stuffed Lita Squash
Step #5- Serve and Enjoy.  This was delicious.  Anther idea I might try next time instead of mock pesto: Marinara on the veggies

1 comment:

  1. your dish looks so amazing! Do you think that we can cook lita and golden squash in microwave? I think that way can keep both them have texture and flavor in highest quality.

    ReplyDelete