Sunday, July 31, 2011

Challenge #15 - Farmer's Market Discoveries

I went to the Farmer's market last weekend and found 2 new things to try.
Lemon Cucumbers - After looking these up online, I discovered they are named "lemon" because they are the same size as a lemon.  I have never seen these in the store before, I decided to try one.
Lemon Cucumber
Make sure when you wash them, you remove the little prickly pieces on the skin.  I then sliced mine with the skin left on and through them in a salad.  It has a similar taste to a regular cucumber, but seemed to be more water containing.  I found this very refreshing as the temperature was above 90 the evening I through it in a salad.
Lemon Cucumber Sliced

Kohlrabi - More unusual then a variety of cucumber.  I peeled it and sliced the kohlrabi and had it raw in a salad.  I went online and you can saute it as well as the green leaves, however, it was another hot day and making anything other than a giant salad was not appealing!  According to "wiki" it is a German turnip.  The texture reminded me of an apple.  I would recommend picking one up and experimenting next time you are at the farmer's market.
Kohlarbi

No comments:

Post a Comment