Thursday, July 21, 2011

Challenge #13- New things at the Farmer's Market

I'm a little behind writing, so I have a few challenges to post.  I tried a few new things from the farmers market these past couple of weeks.
First, my new favorite thing!  Purslane.  Delicious.  I have been putting them leaves and stems in my salad these last couple of weeks. Anytime I see something new at the market, I like to ask the farmer what it is, what can I do with it, how does it taste (sweet, bitter, etc).  He also informed me that Purslane is full of Omega-3, great for me since I don't eat fish.  It will be greatly missed in my salads when winter comes.
I haven't tried this yet as I have been eating this in my salads, but when I googled purslane, I found that you can also saute like spinach.  If I try this, I'll let you all know.
Purslane
  
Next is Sunflower Sprouts.  I know this is not something out of the ordinary, but it was the first time I had them.  Fantastic in salad.  Take a look below how beautiful.  Sometime I use the sunflower sprouts and purslane in my salad, sometimes I switch it up.
Sunflower Sprouts

No comments:

Post a Comment