Sunday, November 25, 2012

Challenge #90 - Baked Plantains with Coconut Cream

I recently learned plantains combine as a starch, if you practice food combining!  So here is a quick and simple dessert.  Both my husband and I loved these. If you don't like coconut, you can omit the whipped cream.

Ingredients:
Ripe Plantains
Cinnamon
Coconut Cream (about 1/4 cup)
Vanilla Extract
Stevia (optional)

Step #1 - Peel and dice plantains into rounds.  I cut mine to about 1/2" thick.
Step # 2 - Place plantain rounds on parchment lined baking sheet and sprinkle with cinnamon.  Roast in oven at 350 for about 8-10 minutes or until plantains are fork tender.  You will begin to smell when they are almost ready.
Step #3 - Optional -whipped coconut cream.  Add coconut cream and a splash of vanilla to a chilled bowl.  You may choose to add some stevia if you want it to be sweeter, I decided not to.  I don't have an electric mixer, so I used some good old muscle to whip the coconut cream until thick.  Ok, I got impatient and my husband took over for me.  It takes about 5 minutes to whip.
Step #4 - Remove plantains from oven, place in dish and add whipped cream if desired.  Enjoy!
I plan to experiment more with plantains soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment