Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Challenge #78 -Veggie Stuffed Mushrooms

This recipe is dedicated to Rande at The Vegetable Centric Kitchen who I had the privilege to meet the other day at a Nutrition class in NYC.  This is stuffed mushrooms with no breadcrumbs!  Bonus my husband loved these, and when I have a dinner party, I plan to serve them as an appetizer.

Ingredients:
Baby bella mushrooms
1 zucchini
1-2 carrots
1 colored pepper of your choice
1/2 to 1 small yellow onion
1 clove garlic
3 tbsp tomato paste
Your favorite raw sheep or goat cheese (I used a raw smoked sheep cheese - yum!)

 Step #1 - Clean mushrooms and remove stems.  Place on parchment line baking sheet or dish.
 Step #2 - Finely dice veggies and onion. (You can really use any of your favorite veggies).  Add tomato paste and zest in 1 clove garlic. Grate in cheese. Mix well and lightly saute in pan.  I used a small amount of veggie broth to saute in.

Step #3 - Stuff mushroom caps with veggie mixture and put in oven on 350 until mushrooms are tender.
Step #4 - Remove from oven and add a bit more shredded cheese to the top if desired.  Please note, I did not add sea salt to my mixture, I let the smokey saltiness of the cheese do the work for me, but feel free to add salt if desired.
Warning:  These are addictive!  My husband and I ate all of them.  I originally was going to use the large portabellas, but decided against it.  The baby bellas are bit size and easy to eat.

1 comment: