Saturday, May 5, 2012

Challenge #77 - Using the Italian Holy Trinity

In different types of cuisines, exist what are referred to as the "Holy Trinities".  In one type of Italian cooking, the trinity is onions, carrots, and celery.  So I used this to make a simple quinoa salad.  I look forward to experimenting with other cuisine's trinities in the near future and will share those as well. 

Ingredients:
1/2 cup of quinoa (any color is fine) (equals double the amount once cooked)
1 cup veggie broth
2 carrots
1 onion
4 stalks celery (I used 4 b/c the celery stalks I had were thin, larger I would have used 2)
Sea salt & pepper to taste
Mixed greens (optional)
Avocado (optional)


Step #1: Cook quinoa in 1 cup veggie broth bring to a boil then simmer about 15-20 mins.  Quinoa will absorb the broth and you will see the germ (tiny spiral) appear when done. (Note, I like to soak my quinoa over night, rinse, and then cook.  If you do this, you can use a little less than 1 cup broth or keep the whole cup like I did and once quinoa is cooked, strain and use the remaining broth for sauteeing veggies)
Step #2: While quinoa is cooking,  dice the onion, carrots, and celery.  Saute in veggie broth until onions, carrots, and celery are tender.  Add salt and pepper to taste.
Step #3: Mix the quinoa and veggies together.  Enjoy on like this or go to Step #4.
Step #4: Place mixed greens on plate.  Top with quinoa salad and add sliced avocado on the side.  I also sprinkled a little pepper on my avocado.  This made a fantastic lunch the other day and I had the left overs for dinner the following night.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm so glad she has been enjoying eating healthier! I have to join Pinterset, there are a bunch of your recipes I want to pin too!

      Delete