Sunday, April 22, 2012

Challenge #75 - Brussel Sprouts with Almonds and Cherries

I am very excited to share this recipe with you because it is something my husband and I both came up with together and the best part...it's super simple.  I mentioned we haven't had brussel sprouts in awhile and we started brainstorming and came up with the recipe below.  A special thanks is in order to one of my friends who gave me the most incredible dried sour cherries I have ever had!  I don't think I will ever find store bought ones that will even be half way as good as these are.

Ingredients:
Brussel sprouts
1/2 Red onion (or 1 small one)
2 garlic cloves
sea salt to taste
Couple handfuls of almonds (I went with a handful per person)
Handful of dried sour cherries (no sulfate, no sugar added)
1/2 Lemon

Step #1 - Wash and half brussel sprouts. Discard any outer leaves that are bad. Cut onion into thin slices.
Step #2 - Saute onion and zested garlic until tender.  Add brussel sprouts and salt to taste.  I only saute mine for a couple of minutes because we like them very crispy.

Step #3 - While sauteing, pulse almonds in food processor to crush into little almond pieces.  Note: I use raw almonds, so they need to be soaked in water for at least 20 minutes then rinsed before eating.
 Step #4 - Remove brussel sprouts and onions from heat and add to bowl.  Add in ground almonds & dried cherries.  Squeeze lemon over and mix all ingredients together. Enjoy!
This was a really delicious dish and I think it only took me about 10 mins to make start to finish.  Even though it's not the season, I think this would be great at Thanksgiving. 



2 comments:

  1. Yum! I'm so in love with brussel sprouts with a hint bit of sweetness. Tonight I made a honey-nut brussel sprout dish for dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks DELICIOUS! I'm so making this one night this week. And veggie sushi!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete