Sunday, April 8, 2012

Challenge #72 - Acorn Squash stuffed with Quinoa

Acorn squash is a natural bowl just waiting to be filled with something!  I love quinoa so that's what I am going to uses to stuff my squash.  I choose to use red quinoa so I would have a nice color combo of the yellow acorn squash and the red quinoa, but any quinoa you have is fine.  Some stores don't carry the red or black quinoa.

Ingredients:
1 acorn squash
1 cup cooked red quinoa
2 cloves garlic
1 orange pepper (or any color you like)
1/2 tsp cumin
Sea Salt to taste

Step #1 - Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Cut acorn squash in half and scoop out seeds.  Place both halves on parchment lined tray or dish flesh side down. (I am showing on up and one down in the photos so you see the scooped out shell.

Step #2: Place in oven and cook for about 40 minutes until squash is fork tender.  Dice pepper and sautee with zested garlic until slightly tender (I like my peppers with a bit more crunch, but you can cook to your desired consistency).
Step #3 - Add quinoa, cumin, and sea salt. (I cooked the quinoa ahead of time, see Challenge #36 for directions of cooking quinoa). Mix well to integrate quinoa, garlic, and diced pepper.
Step #4 - Remove acorn squash from oven when done and stuff with quinoa filling.  You can sprinkle a pinch of sea salt to acorn if desired.

Step #5 - Serve and enjoy.  I added a side salad to my squash.

No comments:

Post a Comment