Monday, December 12, 2011

Challenge #37 - Mock Risotto

One of my most favorite dishes is risotto!  Though I occasionally still have it, I really try to stick to millet, quinoa, & buckwheat.  So I have reworked the classic to be made with millet.  The recipe below is for mushroom/asparagus risotto, but you could do a primavera or whatever you like.

Ingredients:
1 cup millet (uncooked)
1-1/2 cups mushroom broth
1/2 cup water
Half bunch of asparagus - chopped to about 1/2" pieces
Mixed mushrooms (I bought a pre-sliced blend, shiitake, baby bella, & I think oyster)
1 shallot - diced
1 spring rosemary
1 tbsp butter (or whatever you want to saute in)
Sea Salt & pepper to taste
1-2 tbsp Nutritional yeast (optional)

Step #1: Melt butter in pan with rosemary sprig. Once melted, add in diced shallots, asparagus, & mushrooms.  When cooked through and tender, remove from pan.

Step #2: Add millet to pan.
Step #3: Add about half broth to pan and stir.  As millet begins to soak up broth, add remainder of broth.
Step #4: When all broth has been soaked up, remove sprig of rosemary and add veggies.  Stir together to let flavors blend.  Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
Step #5: Serve and enjoy!
This also works well as a leftover.  I added some to a small pot to heat with a splash of broth so it would not dry out.  Very delicious the following day.

No comments:

Post a Comment