Monday, September 8, 2014

Tomato Salad

It's tomato season!  When I was a kid, one of my most favorite things to eat was the fresh tomato salad my dad would make with bread for dunking in all the yummy juices.  Fast forward many years later, I still love it and instead of bread, I dunk with Lydia's Sunflower "Bread"

Ingredients:
Variety of Tomatoes
Handful fresh basil (chopped)
1-2 cloves garlic
Organic Extra Virgin Cold Pressed Olive Oil
Himalayan Salt
Water
Lydia's Sunflower Bread, or if you eat it Ezekiel's Sprouted Bread (Wholefoods, health food stores, and well as other markets carry these as well as Amazon and other online sources)

Step #1: Clean and cut tomatoes.  I used a variety of amazing organic heirlooms from the Farmer's Market.  The green and yellow zebra stripes are my favorite!

Step #2: Add a few drizzles of olive oil, about 1/4 cup water, basil & salt to taste.  Zest in garlic using a microplane or zester.  Mix well. (Pardon the cell phone picts!)
Step #3: Let stand for a couple of hours.  The tomatoes will start to create a yummy juice
Step #4: Enjoy tomato salad.  Add some extra juice to your bowl and dunk your favorite "bread"!


No comments:

Post a Comment