Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Challenge #93 - Butternut Squash Lentils

I rarely eat lentils, maybe only once or twice a year.  As the weather got colder, I just wanted them! 
If you follow food combining, they combine as a starch even though they are technically both a protein and starch (nature's opps!).

This made a lot!  I had soooo much leftovers.  So if this is only for 1 or 2 people, cut recipe in half and you will still have enough for more than one meal.

Ingredients:
2 cups green lentils (I'm sure any kind would be fine)
3 cups veggie broth
2 cups water
2-1/2 cups butternut squash
1 small onion
2-3 garlic cloves
1"-2" ginger (depending on how much you love ginger)
3 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp curry
1 tbsp sea salt

Step #1: Add a small amount of veggie broth to pan, enough to coat bottom.  Chop up onion and add onion plus zested garlic to broth and saute till onions become soft and fragrant.

Step #2:  Add 2 cups lentils, 2 cups veggie broth and 1 cup water and spices and zest in ginger.  Stir well, bring to boil then cover &  reduce heat and simmer for about 25 mins.



Step #2: While simmering, cube up butternut squash into small cube. I cut them so they were about 1/2" cubed.  Add butternut squash and remaining 1 cup veggie broth and 1 cup water to lentils.  Stir well and continue to cook until butternut squash is tender (about 30 mins)
The above reflects the adjusted spice measurements as I was cooking and tasting.  Feel free to start with less and add more as you go.  My husband and I are big fans of cumin.
 Step #3: Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment