Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Challenge #27 - Macaroons with roasted squash

This recipe is inspired by Ana, my wonderful nutritionist.  I altered a very simple sugar free macaroon recipe she gave me using  more of the roasted squash I had.  I would also just like to note the amount of mileage I got out of 1 squash.  This is an amazing way to stretch your dollars.  I think the squash cost me $5-6 at the farmers market and I got several meals/desserts out of one.

Ingredients:
Roasted kabocha squash (thess than a quarter of the squash)
Canned pumpkin (few tablespoons)
Stevia (1-2 packets)
Vanilla extract (couple cap fulls) (Option, use almond extract instead)
Coconut flakes (unsweetened)
Coconut flour (few tablespoons)
Cinnamon (optional, to taste)

Step #1: Puree squash, pumpkin, vanilla and spices in food processor.  Slowly add in coconut flour and coconut flakes to puree until you have a consistency to make a small ball that allows it to stick together. (See previous recipes for photo of puree)

 Step #2: Form small balls, place on lined baking sheet, then squish down a little to flatten slightly.

Step #3: Baking on 350 for about 10-12 minutes or until brown.  Please note, you will want to check on these about half way through ans keep a close eye on them.  Additional options, haven't tried this yet, but you could throw in cocoa or carob powder.

Step #4: Enjoy!  Please note, these are really really yummy and if you have a hard time with self control like me, you might want to make so many in a batch shown below.  The plate of squash macaroons disappear very quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment