Monday, October 3, 2011

Challenge #25 - Kabocha Squash

I found some kabocha squash at the Farmer's market and decided to give it a try.  I got quite a few recipes out of one squash, so more to follow, but first, this is what kabocha squash is...
And this is what it looks like when you cut it open.  Wiki describes it as a Japanese pumpkin.
This recipe has given me a an opportunity to try a new squash and experiment with re-working something I have been wanting to try for awhile pumpkin and butternut squash ravioli.
So here is Squash "Ravioli"... and yes it's a little out of the box!
Ingredients:
Kabocha squash
Canned pumpkin
Sea Salt & pepper
Stevia (optional)
Butter (I use goat milk butter)
Rosemary (or sage, I just did not have sage on hand when I was making this)
Vegetable broth

Step 1:  Slice squash, sprinkle with sea salt & pepper, and roast in oven on 350 until tender.

Step #2:  Cut up squash and add to blender/food processor with about half a can of pumpkin puree, salt, pepper, little stevia.  I judges quantity by how much stuffing I would need for my "ravioli".  My tip would be to taste puree as you go, which is what I did and adjusted my seasoning from there.  I did read up that the green skin of this squash is soft and edible, so I kept it when I cubed the squash.
Step #3: Thinly slice a large turnip for the ravioli.  You can use a mandolin, but I struggles so cut my slices by hand.
 Step #4: Add some puree to the turnip.  It's ok if it is not all in the center.  When you fold the turnip round in half, you want a little to seep out and act as the glue.
Step #5: While you are making the ravioli, melt butter and rosemary in a pan.
Step #6: When butter is melted, remove rosemary and add ravioli.  Want to let ravioli begin to brown and the turnip to get soft.  Flip to second side and repeat.
Step #7: When both sides have browned, add in a little vegetable broth to coat the bottom.  This will create a little sauce for the ravioli and also finish to soften the turnip.  You will see some of the stuffing leaked out a bit, but it added to the sauce, so it was a hapy accident.  The thinner turnip wrappers made for better "ravioli" to stuff and keep closed.
Step #8: Enjoy!  This was a yummy and savory dish.   I am in the process of coming up with some alternate ideas for change up the turnip depending on what I want to final outcome to be as the turnip can be a little bitter.  Since I all the ravioli you see in the pan above, I would consider this a success! Final plated version below.

No comments:

Post a Comment